Alexandr Sergeyev's Resume
email@example.com | very important note for recruiters
Making ideas executable using knowledge, instinct, careful research, and effective communication.
Minimizing cost and maximizing performance of SaaS and IaaS solutions; continuously learning new
things; building resilient distributed systems.
10+ years of
- architecting and improving components of Internet applications that handle constant growth of requests, users, and features;
- web-applications programming and effective use of Perl, Python and Ruby with their popular web frameworks;
- creating application systems that effectively use modern hardware; expert-level coding in Go/C/Python/Perl.
- managing Linux and FreeBSD servers; installing/configuring server software; using PXE, kickstart/preseed, Chef, and Puppet for automated systems management;
- working in results-oriented teams that employ continuous integration and various development methodologies;
- creating, testing and improving applications written in C/C++ and Java;
- building enterprise-scale web-services that expose API with XML and JSON serialization;
- data mining/crunching with variety of tools; strong math, statistics and R skills (things like ggplot2 and aov are not new to me);
- strong info-security background, experience of preparing systems to satisfy PCI compliance requirements;
- using MySQL, PostgreSQL, engineering prototypes and production applications that interact with NoSQL storages (MongoDB, Cassandra & others);
- utilizing popular message queues for application communication (ZeroMQ, RabbitMQ, NSQ ...);
- understanding differences in real and virtual hardware and specifics of running software in cloud computing environment;
- managing groups of 2-5 extremely talanted engineers coordinating efforts with 5-7 other teams;
- teaching peers new skills and technologies.
Hands-on experience in
- deploying and managing OpenStack private cloud on dedicated hardware;
- administering network devices and configuring network routers;
- working directly with ICANN domain name registries using EPP protocol;
- integrating with popular web services API (Google Data APIs, Amazon cloud services, etc);
- search engine optimization, web-performance tuning;
- writing simple scripts in R, prototyping data visualizations with ggplot2;
- general math, statistics and business-oriented data mining and analytics, design of experimetns (multi-factorial analysis).
- Fastly Inc., San-Francisco, CA, USA
(Next generation content delivery network)
- Network Tools Engineer, July/2016 - Present time
- Dyn Inc., Manchester, NH, USA
(Internet performance solutions and infrastructure as a service provider)
- Application Developer, Nov/2006 - 2008
- Improved e-commerce functionality of DynDNS.com website (handled all aspects from UX and SEO to programming and web-performance).
Created multiple backend applications and systems.
- DynDNS Lead Developer, 2009 - 2010
- With the team of 2 continued improving DynDNS website, added multiple service components, including one for seamless
migration of acquired companies userbase. Improved user conversion and renewal rates, accelerating product revenue.
- Manager of Performance and Optimization Team, 2010 - 2011
- With three other engineers re-designed and improved DynECT DNS customer-facing monitoring system,
and worked on improving multiple Dyn SaaS products (e-commerce, enterprise DNS and E-mail).
- Sr. Engineer of Labs, 2012 - 2013
- Full-stack research and engineering focus: architecture, network, data storage and frontend application layers. Designing and prototyping solutions for further adoption. Writing blog posts and
teaching fellow engineers. Lots of collaboration with a great boss.
- Manager of Labs, 2013 - 2014
- Lead team of few incredibly talented individuals; onsite full-time engineers and contracted professionals.
- Assisted senior leadership with due-diligence analysis of potential acquisitions.
- Managed projects visualizing amounts of activity streamed from globally-deployed production systems.
- Assisted in the efforts of capacity analysis engineers and helped them to mine important system performance data and its analysis.
- Worked on multiple projects researching applicability of new hardware and software in Dyn solutions.
- Principal Engineer of Data Analytics team, 2014 - Jul/2016
- Improved software supporting data mining for Dyn Internet Intelligence product.
- Participated in improving quality of Dyn's Enterprise DNS Traffic Director service.
- Researched and validated some of the the methods to improve IP geo-location data.
- Created series of tools that analyze and monitor collected production systems data.
- The Livingston Group of Marketing Research, Windham, New Hampshire, USA
(Marketing research and consulting company serving Fortune-500 clients)
- Director of Web-Based Research Applications, Apr/2001 - Sep/2006
- Implemented Interface(tm) marketing research technique as a complex online testing system of few related applications.
- Wrote a multiuser program to manage educational e-mail subscriptions (application to create sets of letters to be delivered on an individual schedule).
- Developed survey management scripts for collecting, checking and screening people's responses; exporting results to SPSS or CSV files including a tool for converting any XML files to custom-format data file with optional calculation stage.
- Created lightweight AdWords API Perl library that allows to use Google Adwords API even in the envirorments that do not have Perl-XML modules installed.
- Managed Linux servers with more than 50 working web projects (Apache HTTP service with PHP and mod_perl frameworks) and IT services for company employees and contractors (MySQL, SSH, FTP, CSV, DNS, SMTP/POP3 server with spam and virus filters). Selected services and software providers, facilitated regular software upgrades.
- Learned a lot from a great mentor who helped me to realize my potential as a professional.
- JSC "National Information Technologies", Petropavlovsk, Kazakhstan
(Internet service provider, country-wide FrameRelay/X.25/IP network operator)
- Engineer then Senior Engineer, Apr/1998 - Feb/2002
- Learned about Internet tecnologies and web standards. Developed and supported company's web sites.
- Performed netops tasks: configured, monitored and managed "Cisco" routers, Dial-Up modem pools, and other devices. Did planning, addressing and routing for segments of wide area network. Played role of a group leader in deploy procedures.
- Managed Linux, FreeBSD and SCO Unix servers in 24*7 production environment.
- Created a tool for Internet service clients billing (Perl/C++/PostgreeSQL, IP netflow daemon and web scripts).
- North-Kazakhstan State University
(Computer Science Department)
- System Administrator (Part Time), Sep/1996 - Jan/1998
- Performed routine maintenance of 30-40 computers.
- Supervised students' work in a computer class.
Education and other details
- North-Kazakhstan State University. Majored in mathematics and computer science, graduated in 1998 with honors (GPA 3.9)
- Teaching Experience: High school teacher of mathematics and computer science (as part of pedagogical training), Oct-Nov/1997 and Feb-Apr/1998
- Undergraduate Admission Committee Secretary, 1997, Department of Information Technologies
- Thesis paper "Fuzzy Sets and Expert Systems in Education," 1998
- Member of Bachelor Thesises Examination Committee, 2000, Department of Computer Science
- Conferences, workshops, and seminars attendee
- Intro to data science with R training, January 2014 (Boston MA)
- Surge (scalability and engineering), September 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 (Baltimore, National Harbor, MD)
- Oscon, July 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 (Portland, OR)
- Mirantis OpenStack bootcamp, June 2013 (Boston, MA)
- IETF 86 meeting, March 2012 (Orlando, FL)
- ICANN 45, October 2012 (Toronto, ON)
- Velocity Santa Clara, June 2010 and 2012
- Strata Santa Clara, February 2012
- Puppet Camp Boston, June 2012
- Pittsburgh Perl Workshop, October 2011
- Cassandra NYC, December 2011
- MongoDB Boston, October 2011
- AMA's Management Skills for New Managers, April 2010 (Boston MA)
- Interop NYC, December 2009
- An Event Apart Boston, June 2009
- Edward Tufte's Presenting Data and Information, March 2008 (Boston, MA)
- Professional Member of ACM (Association for Computing Machinery) since 2012
- Occasional participant in IETF (Internet Engineering Task Force) activities
- Things that help my brain to stay flexible
- I enjoy riding road bike in summer and snowboard in winter. I like playing tennis and ping-pong when I can.
- My house is a story of what we did to it ourselves, from the small improvements to landscaping (and falling large trees).
- I love my wife and kids very much and there is no better time than those hours when we are all together.
alexsergeyev.com » systems and data engineer, go developer resume